How do you say that there is a thing (e.g.: Restaurant ) in a certain place (e.g.: My town)? Is there a formula for this?

If someone were to ask me if there was a restaurant in my city they would say あなたの町に日本のレストランがありますか。

They would use the particle が but in my answer do I use は? And does that have to be in the beginning of the phrase or can I put it after the location (に particle)?

• If a specific place is the topic then you can use [ Place + には ]. – Hassan Tareq Feb 14 '17 at 0:46
    あなたの町に日本のレストランがありますか is not really a natural expression. It should be …日本料理のレストラン (or just 店) は ありますか. Using は is another point. – user4092 Feb 14 '17 at 2:19

For "There is a Japanese restaurant in my city", I'd say:

私の町には[日本食]{にほんしょく}のレストランあります。

[Place]には[Thing]があります。

("Japanese restaurant" can also be 日本食の[店]{みせ}、[日本料理]{にほんりょうり}のレストラン、日本料理の[店]{みせ}、[日本料理店]{にほんりょうりてん}、[和食]{わしょく}の[店]{みせ}、和食のレストラン, etc.)

For "Is there a Japanese restaurant in your town?", I'd say:

あなたの町日本食のレストランありますか?

[Place]に[Thing]はありますか?

Addressing this comment:

When asked 「あなたの町には何がありますか?」(What's in your town?), you'd reply:

(私の町には)和食のレストランあります。

[Place]には[Thing]があります。

This is literally like "As for my town, a Japanese restaurant is there."
Use the topical は for old/known/given information, and が for new/important information.

When asked 「和食のレストランはどこにありますか?」(Where's a Japanese restaurant?), you'd reply:

(和食のレストラン)私の町あります。

[Thing]は[Place]にあります。

This is literally like "As for a Japanese restaurant, there's one in my town."
Use the topical は for old/known/given information. 

Yes, there are formulae.

First of all, you have to understand that is a topic particle and particle emphasis on what comes before it.

Formula 1: Noun は Place に あります.
Example : アメリカのレストラン は どこ に ありますか?

Formula 2: Place には Noun が あります.
Example : 東京 には アメリカのレストラン が あります.

Usage of formula 1 and 2:

If a specific place is the topic >> use formula 2 (東京 には ~)
If noun (you wanna talk about) is the topic >> use formula 1 (アメリカのレストラン は ~ )

Take a look at Using location words with Subject/topic markers
"Objects can also be the topic of a sentence (には, では, へは), but objects can't be the subject of a sentence"

• Can you please clarify the diference between say: "アメリカのレストラン は東京に あります" And "東京 には アメリカのレストラン が あります"? – Andre R. Feb 14 '17 at 0:54
  • As I know they are almost same, formula 2 emphasis on "Specific place" as the topic. check Usage of formula 1 and 2 – Hassan Tareq Feb 14 '17 at 1:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.