So recently I was commenting about how a song was related to a book, and I said that there were names of certain characters in the song. Then I wanted to say that when I looked up the names, I found out that they were from the book, The Plague. But I couldn't figure out how you would say that. I ended up doing this:

「ペスト」のキャラクターを見つけ出します!

So how would you say "from /a book/?" Using from in that way seems like a particular English expression. Is there an equivalent one in Japanese? Or can I just use に? "「ペスト」に" made the most sense to me, but then how would I use that with を, for 見つけ出します?

Thank you!

2 Answers 2

You could say:

「[Actual Name(s)] は小説{しょうせつ}『ペスト』から来{き}ていることがわかった。」

or

「[Actual Name(s)] は小説『ペスト』の登場人物{とうじょうじんぶつ}の名前{なまえ}であることがわかった。」

The first sentence is more informal in word choices and structure.

Your sentence:

「『ペスト』のキャラクターを見つけ出します!」

makes little sense. At least it does not mean what you want to say this time.

「見つけ出します!」 can only mean "I'm going to find ~~!" when, in reality, you have already found something. It talks about near future, not immediate past.

While I would not call your word choice of 「キャラクター」 incorrect, 「登場人物」 would be a way more common word for this.

I made a big mistake in the original answer. I'll show you an edited answer.

【Original】

• 「The Plague」という名前は、本で見つけました。
  • 「The Plague」って、(私が読んでいる「****」)という本で見つけたの。
  • 「The Plague」の出典は「****」という本です。

最初の2つの文は、主語がIで、過去の事実を述べているので過去形で書くのが普通です。
「ペスト」のキャラクターを見つけ出します!
→「ペスト」のキャラクターを見つけました! または、「ペスト」のキャラクターを見つけた!

【Edited】

「ペスト」のキャラクターを見つけ出します!

• 「ペスト」という題名{だいめい}の本{ほん}でキャラクターの名前{なまえ}を見{み}つけました!
  • 「ペスト」っていう本に載{の}ってたよ!
  • キャラクターの名前{なまえ}、「ペスト」からなんだ!

It is natural for you to write the first two sentences in a past tense because they are the past facts that you did or experienced by yourself. However, I recommend you to write the last sentence in a present tense because it tells only a fact not having to do with you.

Additional information and an illustration

I considered to make it clear how prepositions に, で and から should be properly used in a Japanese sentence which has the same meaning of English "I found the names of the characters from the book, The Plague."

I'll show you the consideration by the illustration drawn below.

In conclusion, the following sentences are acceptable:

• 私は「***」という登場人物(=キャラクター)の名前を「ペスト」という題名の本(/本の中)で見つけました。

• 私は「***」という登場人物(=キャラクター)の名前が「ペスト」という題名の本(/本の中)にあることを見つけました。

• 私は「***」という登場人物(=キャラクター)の名前が「ペスト」という題名の本からだということを見つけました。

enter image description here

「The Plague」という名前は、本で見つけました。...「The Plague」の出典は「****」という本です。 >> "The Plague (「ペスト」)" は、キャラクターの名前ではなく、歌に出てくるキャラクターたちが登場する本(小説)の題名だと思うのですが。。。
    – chocolate
    Apr 12, 2017 at 1:25
  • Thank you for your help! Just to clarify, going from your answers, as prepositions go, に, で, から can all be used to mean "from" in that sense, に and で depending on the verb and から more generally? (Sorry that this is so long after your answer!)
    – Smoothie
    Apr 20, 2017 at 20:57
  • @Smoothie >に and で depending on the verb and から more generally? Give me a time. I will show the answer later on.
    – user20624
    Apr 21, 2017 at 0:11
  • Sorry I didn't check this for a while! I know I'm not supposed to leave a comment just thanking you but... wow, this is very complete! Thank you for the diagram and clarifying!
    – Smoothie
    May 5, 2017 at 23:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .