I am writing a short letter in Japanese. I will doubtless make many mistakes. What is a nice way to acknowledge this to the recipient?

I apologise for using the forum incorrectly. With the help of these answers and other sources as indicated in the comments, I drafted an apology for bad Japanese as follows:

三年【さんねん】以上【いじょう】前【まえ】に日本語【にほんご】を勉強【べんきょう】する事【こと】が始【はじ】まる。学習【がくしゅう】時間【じかん】は手短【てみじ】かったら、日本語【にほんご】の表現【ひょうげん】は間違【まちが】っているかも知【し】れません。私【わたし】の日本語【にほんご】が変【へん】だったらすみません。

"I have been studying Japanese for a little over three years. As this is short time to be learning, my Japanese is not without errors in expression. If my Japanese is strange, I apologise."

I think this question would be a better one if you provided your attempt at writing this, as we don't do translations. – psosuna Feb 25 '20 at 18:38
    Sure, I can provide an attempt. I thought there might be some kind of formula. – solidsnack Feb 25 '20 at 19:38
  • It's also generally a good idea to see if Google has an answer for you before asking on SE. I just cut-and-pasted your question's title directly into Google and immediately came up with many (many) forum hits on Quora and HiNative addressing exactly this.. – Foogod Feb 26 '20 at 16:21
  • 日本語の勉強をはじめてから三年でして、失礼があれば申し訳ありません。 I'd go with this one. – HelloWorld Mar 2 '20 at 16:49

By reading your sentences, I can easily understand what you're trying to say.

So I'll keep my corrections to a bare minimum:

三年と少し前に日本語を勉強し始めました。学習時間がまだ短いので、日本語の表現が間違っているかもしれません。私の日本語が変だったらすみません。

日本語に慣れてなくてすみません。

This is interpreted as Sorry I'm not good at Japanese.

日本語に is Japanese
慣れてなくて means Not used to
すみません is a formal apology.

• Is there no conflict between using formal すみません while dropping the い in 慣れていなくて (especially in writing)? – Kaskade Feb 25 '20 at 9:46
    I think it won't be a trouble in most cases, especially in a situation where you need to tell the recipient that you acknowledge that you are aware of the mistakes. い dropping is seen in official statement that LDP has published. jimin.jp/news/press/chairman_prc/132488.html – HelloWorld Feb 25 '20 at 10:19
    @Kaskade In general, no issue having those combined. For a formal letter it would be better to not drop いs if course (but OP didn’t specify formality level or context). – Darius Jahandarie Feb 25 '20 at 14:09

This is basically, "I am a beginner at Japanese, so I am sorry that my mistakes can't be avoided."
日本語の新米です。文法や単語が間違いですので、しかたがありません。すみません。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.