I am a beginner of Japanese. Currently I've been studying for 1 month already and I am still n5. I try to watch Japanese TV as much as possible even though I don't understand what most of them say just so I can distinguish which words I do understand. I've also been doing some advance reading on certain topics like "+tara" form out of curiosity since I've been hearing that word a lot.

From what I researched, when you use the tara form, you change the verb into plain past form, like aru becomes attara. I guess my question is, why do people in TV say iu tara (as in 言う). Shouldn't it be ittara or itte itara? This question has been bothering me quite a lot like an itch I need to scratch. Any feedback is much appreciated! Thank you very much.

• On a side note, I also noticed that many people in Tokyo (don't know about other dialects) read 言ったら as いうったら rather than いったら. I mean, despite making the pause corresponding to the small っ, the previous うsound is mildly audible as well. – jarmanso7 May 5 at 11:39
    ^ 「いうったら」じゃなくて 「ゆったら」って言ってるんじゃないですかね・・ – Chocolate May 5 at 13:01

「言う」+「たら」

In Standard Japanese, the only correct combined form is:

「言ったら」

In Kansai dialects, however,

「言うたら」

is also used on a daily basis. It is a regionally correct form.

Currently, many popular TV personalities in Japan are indeed from Kansai (including a number of most successful ones). Thus, it is only natural that you frequently hear 「言うたら」 on TV.

• Thank you so much!!! I've been trying to figure that one but I couldn't find any answers on google. – Jp Arcilla May 5 at 11:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.