I am translating a trip schedule for a group of Japanese people coming to visit my country. I translated "pick-up from the airport" as "空港へのお出迎え", but I think お出迎え can only be used when you greet someone the first time they have just arrived in a place. I don't think it can be used to translate "pick-up from the hotel" for a later moment. Is ピックアップ understandable by Japanese people? Also, I need a noun and not a verb, since the schedule is written as a list, something like this:

09:00 Pick-up from the airport

18:00 Pick-up from the hotel

Thank you for your help!

I think you had better not use a word ピックアップ because it is not a common word in Japan.

I think お出迎え is appropriate, and I want to change it a little like 空港までお出迎え.

Another phrase I think of is 空港まで送迎車を手配, but it is a little businesslike.

• Thank you for your answer! So I can use お出迎え also for a later moment, not only for their arrival? – Marco Jun 14 '18 at 17:09
  • I think お出迎え can be also used for a later moment. If this schedule list is for Japanese people, 空港で送迎車に乗車 may be also used. – Yuuichi Tam Jun 14 '18 at 17:30
    @Tommy You don't have to worry because it doesn't make sense to Japanese speakers as long as it's used in that meaning. – user4092 Jun 15 '18 at 3:01
    Eheh, I know but just today I was in the subway and read an ad of a gym saying: このチャンスにベストなコンディションを。I don't worry about now, I worry about the future. Probably 50 years ago also the sentence above wouldn't make any sense, that's what I mean. – Tommy Jun 15 '18 at 3:28
  • @Tommy I agree with you, but I think the tendency doesn't change because English will be more spoken in Japan in future. – Yuuichi Tam Jun 15 '18 at 6:58

I think Yuuichi's answer is good. Just want to add that maybe you also want to have a look at 迎{むか}えに行く・迎えに来る. It's probably less formal than お出迎え so it depends on the situation. Anyway, 迎{むか}えに行く is quite good to know. For example:

私は空港に彼を迎えに行きます。 I will go pick him up at the airport.

明日の朝私を迎えに来るのを忘れないでね。 Don't forget to pick me up tomorrow morning.

The answer ends here, the following is just a side note. I will put it in italic just to underline it is somehow unrelated to the actual answer. It is just a remark born out of your attempt of using ピックアップ.

In general, I strongly advocate agains trying to "katakanize" everything when we do not know a word. Chances are there are perfectly fine native Japanese words that we simply don't know. This is just my opinion but I am very much against the modern tendency of abusing loan words in Japanese.

• As you said, the suggestions you provided are less formal and I would use them inside a sentence, not on a trip schedule written as a list. But thanks anyway for your answer! – Marco Jun 15 '18 at 14:52
  • @Marco sure I just wanted to add something as your question seemed to be quite asking in general how to say “to go and meet/pick up someone somewhere”. I don’t understand why the down vote anyway, did you do it? – Tommy Jun 16 '18 at 2:12
    I didn't downvote. I upvoted it now since it still adds useful information. – Marco Jun 16 '18 at 16:01

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.