Would I just use わるい? Or is there a more specific word for being unskilled at something?

私の日本語は悪いです。< Would something like this suffice?

You have several ways to say "I'm bad at Japanese". The most common (and direct) ways to say it would be:

• 私は日本語が[下手]{へた}です。(lit. As for me, Japanese is poor.)
  • 私の日本語は下手です。(lit. My Japanese is poor.)

悪い is a literal translation of the English "bad". In Japanese, you don't use 悪い to say you're bad/unskillful at something.

You could also express it as "I'm not good at Japanese":

• 私は日本語が[上手]{じょうず}ではありません。(lit. As for me, Japanese is not good/skillful.)
  • 私は日本語が[上手]{うま}くありません。(lit. As for me, Japanese is not good.)

Depending on what you're bad at, you could also use [苦手]{にがて}, which is closer to "weak":

• 私は[料理]{りょうり}が苦手です。(≂ 私は料理が下手です。)
    I'm bad at cooking.
  • 私は[泳]{およ}ぎが(or[水泳]{すいえい}が)苦手です。(≂ 私は泳ぎが/水泳が下手です。)
    I'm bad at swimming.
  • 私は数学が苦手です。(but not 私は数学が下手です。)
    I'm weak at maths.
  • 私は英語が苦手です。(When talking about English as a school subject, use 苦手. You don't use 下手 for school subjects.)
    I'm weak at English.

This time you can rephrase them as "not good/strong at~~" using [得意]{とくい}:

• 私は料理が得意ではありません。
    I'm not good at cooking.
  • 私は数学が得意ではありません。(but not 私は数学が上手ではありません。)
    I'm not strong at maths.
  • What makes 私は数学が下手です less natural sounding? – A.Ellett Jul 27 '17 at 0:58
  • @A.Ellett そうなんですよね・・・ I don't know why but we don't use [下手]{へた}, [上手]{じょうず} for school subjects.. You'd use 得意, 苦手 instead. – Chocolate Jul 27 '17 at 1:01
    Actually, that's as much as an explanation as I need. I would imagine then it's the difference between a skill (an ability to speak) as opposed to persevering through the tedium of a class or lecture. – A.Ellett Jul 27 '17 at 1:04
  • One "gotcha" to remember is that 苦手 can be used to express dislike, especially for food. 私は肉が苦手です is a valid way to say beef doesn't agree with you. – sakurashinken Jul 31 '17 at 20:27

Well, you could just use 下手{へた} that is basically the opposite of 上手.

So basically you could say 私は日本語が下手です。

To add one more you could probably use 苦手{にがて} as well, which means "poor (at something), weak, unskilled" etc. So you would say 私は日本語が苦手です。

• What about まずい? – A.Ellett Jul 27 '17 at 0:37
    Never heard it in that context, but a native speaker would know better. Maybe I could add 苦手 to say that you are not good at it. – Tommy Jul 27 '17 at 0:39
  • OOh, I like that. I hadn't thought of that one. Add it for sure. :-) – A.Ellett Jul 27 '17 at 0:41
  • About mazui, I have a feeling it wouldn't sound so natural although the meaning would be probably clear. Maybe a native speaker could comment on this. – Tommy Jul 27 '17 at 0:43

I think the most natural would be

私は日本語があまり上手じゃありません。

lit. My japanese is really not very good.

• How about reviewing words like 下手{へた} and まずい for a more complete answer? – A.Ellett Jul 27 '17 at 0:33

Actually 下手 (the kanji opposite of 上手) is a common way of saying you are not very good at something.

私の日本語は下手です。

Alc reference here:

http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%e4%b8%8b%e6%89%8b

My teacher told me using 上手 with yourself sounds pretty bad. There was another expression but I can't find it anywhere.

I would guess you're thinking of 得意. Have you looked at the other answers? – snailboat May 11 '18 at 14:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.