It is easy to find inside out in a dictionary: 裏返し{うらがえし}, but I have difficulty translating backwards in the expression

to put a T-shirt on backwards

I believe you can use 前後ろ for "backwards" or "front-to-back". For example,

Tシャツを前後ろに着る

Edit. People in chat also point out that there is also 後ろ前 "back-to-front", so

前後ろ ↔ 前が後ろ "front to back"
後ろ前 ↔ 後ろが前 "back to front"

I became slightly curious about which is used most, Google Trends shows no big difference though: google.com/trends/explore?geo=JP&q=前後ろ,後ろ前 – Kess Vargavind Feb 3 '17 at 8:46
    @KessVargavind The data is so similar, it's hard to believe that it really tracks the word 前後ろ and not sentence (or search queries) just using 前 and 後ろ in this order (or in any order). For comparison, the Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese has 前後ろ 9 results and 後ろ前 19 results. With these low numbers, it's hard to call it a trend, though. – Earthliŋ Feb 3 '17 at 8:54
  • I was thinking the same, but I am not able to get Google Trends to compare exactly what I write. I did try to enclose the search words with quotation marks, but it seems to have no effect, in contrast to normal Google searches. – Kess Vargavind Feb 3 '17 at 9:03
    The expressions「後ろと前逆」「前と後ろ逆」「後ろ前逆」 with 「逆」 to emphasize the backward-ness are very commonly used. Enter in google search image and you will get the images you want with a lot of backwards shirts. Enter 前が後ろ and it doesn't work. (I think you should add this to your answer). – Craig Hicks Feb 3 '17 at 16:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.