If I were looking for a Japanese manga artist, I would use the Japanese characters for the word "mangaka." I need the Japanese word and characters for a word that means "3D character artist" or "3D character modeller."

Do the Japanese have a specific term for this, like mangaka is for 2D art? Or do they just use the same words except in Japanese?

I'm trying to find a Japanese 3D character modeller. My own Japanese is actually very fluent, I just need to know if there is a specific term for it or some other way to help me find one. Thanks in advance!


The translations are 3Dキャラクターアーティスト and 3Dキャラクターモデラー, respectively. 3D is usually pronounced スリーディー.

Unlike 漫画家, there are no common kanji Japanese words for these. Here's why: Why is a blackboard called 黒板, but a whiteboard is not called 白板?

  • 1
    Sculptors use the word 塑造 for (clay) modelling, but as far as I know, it's never used in 3DCG contexts. – naruto Aug 1 '19 at 23:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.