I talk with a couple of Japanese users on social media and I was wondering what other words can I use to say "Oh, I have this theory", or "I imagine this and that about those characters". Up until now I mostly used the verb 想像する to say that I 'imagine" the following or saying イデア. While talking with an user they wrote this 妄想 and I was glad to know another word and I think it fits more, I believe with the term 'headcanon'. I'm gonna use the word more often, but if anyone knows other terms, please tell me! I hope at least it was informative for some, because it was the first time that I encountered the use of 妄想.

The most comon terms would be 「脳内設定{のうないせってい}」 or 「マイ設定」.

「妄想{もうそう}」("delusion") is an old, "regular" word; It does not have the slangy feeling or vives that the two "special" terms above or "headcanon" have.

You could use 「妄想」 in explaining what a headcanon is, but it could not replace the term itself. The word is just too broad.

• I've seen 「マイ設定」("my setting") in the afterword of various Japanese fan works, so it's very close in usage to "headcanon" in my mind. – ArrowCase Dec 6 '17 at 16:34

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.