I am looking for a Japanese word, preferably a single Kanji character to mean "owner of black male horse". I checked some dictionaries, but could not find a single word for it.

Currently, I found the following on jisho.org and Google:

驪 = Black horse
牡馬 (Boba) = Male horse (stallion)
黒 (Kuro) = Black
闆 = Owner
馬主 = Horse Owner

馬 = Horse (Google Translate)

Just one more question, can I just put these kanji characters in sequence to get the meaning I want? e.g. 牡馬 + 闆 = 牡馬闆 (black horse owner?)

Just out of curiosity, why do you think there might be a single word/kanji that describes all of that? – user3856370 Sep 6 at 18:26
  • @user3856370 as far as I know kanji characters often have independent meanings, so I was just curious if there was a kanji for that phrase. Or at least two or three kanjis (as few characters as possible) that can describe that? – codezombie Sep 6 at 18:28

The kanji like 驪 or 闆 seem to be very rare and are unlikely to be known by a common person. You can notice that there are no entries for words containing those kanji, only some place/people names.

While a somewhat unusual combination, I think 黒馬主 (kuro uma nushi) will be probably understood (note that it doesn't specify that the horse is male).

In general, stacking up kanji like that does not always work; you may get better understanding by combining proper words with particles, e.g. 青毛の牡馬の主 (owner of a stallion with black coat).

P.S. Please don't put this on a tattoo.

I'm +1'ing this just for "Please don't put this on a tattoo". Yes, OP, PLEASE don't put this on a tattoo. – istrasci Sep 6 at 22:16
  • What is the coat about? Admitedly it is supposed to be embroidered on a karategi. Is that fine? – codezombie Sep 6 at 23:01
  • @codezombie when a stallion is black, isn't it a given that it's coat would be black? – Leebo Sep 6 at 23:57
  • @Leebo OK, but horses don't usually wear coats, that's why it seemed unnatural to me. Maybe it is the only way its color could be conveyed. – codezombie Sep 7 at 7:53
    @codezombie Are you pulling my leg >_> A coat is what you call an animal's fur. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equine_coat_color – Leebo Sep 7 at 8:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.