The students I have keep a diary. The two sentences below are written on those diaries.

小さな積み重ねが、大きな差となる

Small stacking makes big difference.

That English sounds awkward to me. It is absolutely google translated and copy/pasted. But since my Japanese and knowledge of their proverbs(if that sentence is one) is limited, I was wondering if the below proverbs would mean what they meant with the Japanese sentence.

Many a little makes a mickle.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step.

Apart from these two, are there any other proverbs that can convey the meaning of that Japanese sentence? Or if I am wrong, what could be the correct proverb? I don't need a direct translation like;

Many small amounts accumulate to make a large amount.

「小{ちい}さな積{つ}み重{かさ}ねが、大{おお}きな差{さ}となる」

is definitely not a proverb.

It is only a "regular" sentence, which seems to be a rephrasing of the "real" proverb:

「塵{ちり}も積{つ}もれば山となる」

which indeed means:

"Many a little makes a mickle." or "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step."

Other Japanese proverbs with similar meanings would include:

「ローマは一日{いちにち}にして成{な}らず」 ("Rome was not built in a day.")

「千里{せんり}の道{みち}も一歩{いっぽ}から」 ("A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step." )

I just used the term "Japanese proverbs" myself, but many of the proverbs used in Japanese actually come from ancient China, Rome, Greece, etc.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you. And that "small stacking" sentence was やっぱり google translate. This will be on the next topic and a nice lesson to why they should not depend completely on translation applications. I think "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step" would look much cooler on their diaries. – Grizzly Aug 23 '18 at 4:56
  • So the Japanese proverb would be something like "Pile enough dirt and you can make a mountain." right? – ericfromabeno Aug 23 '18 at 8:20
  • Gather enough drops of water and eventually you'll have an ocean. – ericfromabeno Aug 23 '18 at 8:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.