Does anybody with in-depth knowledge of Old Japanese know why vowel-based verbal stems could only end in -e or -i (leading to the える/いる or type 2 class of verbs in Modern Japanese)? Why are there no cases of vowel based verbal stems ending in e.g. -a, -o or -u?

It is a very peculiar feature when compared to other languages that have conjugations based on the last letter/vowel of the verbal stem (such as Latin, Greek and Sanskrit)… Unfortunately my Japanese is rather rudimentary and my Old Japanese practically non-existent…

• What do you mean by "vowel-based verbal stems"? And type 2 class of verbs? – Breton Loïc Jun 27 '18 at 7:46
    @BretonLoïc The former means exactly what it says: verbs (or "verbals") whose stems end in vowels. In Modern Japanese, an example would be taberu, whose stem is tabe-. Compare consonant-stem verbs like yomu, whose stem is yom-. The "type 2" terminology is just another way to refer to the class of vowel-stem verbs. – snailcar Jun 27 '18 at 7:58
  • Okay then, that's not really relevant to the question but all "vowel-ending verbal stems" didn't end up being "eru/iru" verbs in modern japanese: kobun.weblio.jp/content/%E3%82%91%E3%81%B5 ゑ・ふ which became よう (酔う) – Breton Loïc Jun 27 '18 at 8:23
  • Like I said in the question, my Japanese is rather rudimentary and my Old Japanese practically inexistent, so I cannot really deliver an opinion on this… but… the wiktionary gives the etymology of 酔う as /wepu/ → /weɸu/ → /e.u/ → /yo.u/ This means this verb was originally a consonant-stem verb, as it ended in p, or later ɸ, although it might have functioned as a vowel-stem verb in an intermediary period... – Pregunto Jul 9 '18 at 10:20

The capitalized Old Japanese (上代日本語) certainly has two vowel-stem types of verbs that yield today's -eru/-iru verbs respectively. However, it's not accurate to say they end in -e/-i because the language in the Old Japanese stage had 8 distinct "vowels", or to recent understanding, more like "rhymes":

a, i1, i2, u, e1, e2, o1, o2

which merged into the current 5-vowel system by the 9th century (then it becomes called Early Middle Japanese).

The two stem-final vowels you mentioned are actually -e2 and -i2, both of which were formed by contraction of adjacent vowels which are thought to have existed in earlier, pre-document ages. Since I don't have access to books such as Frellesvig (2010) now, just let me quote Wikipedia for an overview:

• i2 < *ui: kami2/kamu- 'god, spirit', mi2/mu- 'eye', nagi2/nagu- 'a calm'.
  • i2 < *əi: ki2/ko2- 'tree', yomi2/yomo2- 'Hades'.
  • e2 < *ai: me2/ma- 'eye', ame2/ama- 'heaven', ame2/ama- 'rain', kage2/kaga- 'shade'.

Thus you can presume that some vowel-stem verbs were actually composed by underlying bases that end in other vowels, and suffixing *i.

aka "red, bright" / ake2- "brighten"
oko2-s- "raise up" / oki2- "arise"

• This is an important point to make (+1), but I don't think you actually answer the question — why do vowel-stem verbs only end in -e or -i (or, after your explanation in -e₂ or -i₂)? – Earthliŋ Jun 27 '18 at 10:19
  • @Earthliŋ Um... yes, you have a point :) – broccoli forest Jun 27 '18 at 17:23
  • What about the hypothesis that shimo-nidan verbs all come from eru? (Or am I getting things mixed up?) – Sjiveru Jun 27 '18 at 20:00
    @Sjiveru I think I've heard such thing on the discussion on the development of 可能動詞 (書く > 書ける), though. – broccoli forest Jun 27 '18 at 20:17
  • @broccoliforest There's that, too, but I seem to remember something about shimo-nidan verbs in general. (IIRC akeru is ichidan. I might be wrong, though.) – Sjiveru Jun 27 '18 at 23:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.