I'm curious about the use of certain particles in combination with nominalizing particles こと and の。I know ことが、のは、etc are acceptable, but can one use particles such as と or など etc? For instance, would the following sentence be grammatically correct or does it sound very strange.

喋ることと聞くことより読むことと書くことほうが上手だ。

Is there a better way to express this? Moreover, are ことと or ことなど or のと etc acceptable particle combos?

I've tried finding resources to answer this to no avail (sorry if my Google skills just suck)

Edit: I realize の should be used for experiential verbs, so maybe the following sentence is better:

喋るのと聞くのより読むのと書くのほうが上手だ。

The former one is fine, but the latter one "書くの方が得意だ" should be "書くことの方が得意だ". "書くのの方が得意だ" sounds strange. – user524690 Nov 5 '18 at 8:03

Your sentence is nearly perfect, but you need の between こと and ほう, because こと and ほう are both (special) nouns.

喋ることと聞くことより読むことと書くことほうが上手だ。

(As an aside, you don't necessarily need nominalizers here. より and ほう can follow the dictionary-form of a verb, so you can say 喋ったり聞いたりするより読んだり書いたりする方が上手だ. This question is related.)

It's also possible to use nominalizer-の instead of こと, but it sounds less formal, and the combination of の-and-の (one for nominalization and one for linking) sounds odd to me.

[△]喋るのと聞くのより読むのと書くののほうが上手だ。 (questionable)

ことなど is also an acceptable combination.

午前はメールを書くことなどに時間を使った。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.