What's the meaning of this sentence and what does なので mean here? If possible, I would like to know the grammatical rules of なので as well.

英語と日本語なので私にとっても良い勉強になります。

• Do you know what ので means? – oals Nov 19 '14 at 20:58
    What's your exact problem? You really haven't seen なので at all and you are asking about it without consulting a dictionary? Or you know it but have difficulty finding the reasonable interpretation? Then what's the context? – naruto Nov 19 '14 at 21:34
  • yes i have googled it but i found only that "nanode"means "since" in english and it didnt make sense to me – Andrea Neves Lopes Nov 20 '14 at 11:39

Like から, it can mean "so", "therefore", "since", "because", but ので is technically supposed to be used for highlighting a cause-and-effect relationship, while から is for subjectively presenting a cause or a reason.

Either way, ので feels more polite, so it is often the one used when you are gently expressing a reason, asking for permission, when making an excuse, or other similar situations.

The な is added when following nouns and na adjectives, and what it's doing is essentially replacing a だ.

Here's an example of that:

ここは駐車禁止ので車を止めてはいけません。

ここは駐車禁止から車を止めてはいけません。

英語{えいご}と日本語{にほんご}なので私{わたし}にとっても良{い}い勉強{べんきょう}になります。

• Because it is Japanese and English it is very useful / helpful to me.

• It's really good for my studies because it is (in) English and Japanese.

Usage of ので・なので

Similar to から, it is used to express reason or cause. Use when following a noun or word that functions as a noun.

• 冬{ふゆ}なので花{はな}は咲{さ}いてない。 There are no flowers (blooming) because it's / of winter.

• 下手{へた}なのでやめた方{ほう}がいいかな? I wonder if I should quit it because I am not good at it.

• もう遅{おそ}いので帰{かえ}ろうね。 It's (already) late, so let's go home (friendly).

• More examples.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.