In English, when we wish to write a non-strict mathematical inequality, we will write something like this:

x ≤ 3 or y ≥ 5

In Japanese writing, however, I have also seen the symbol ≦ used to mean "less than or equal to". Which of ≤ and ≦ is more common in Japanese usage? I would be interested to know about any differences that exist across various media/genres of writing, e.g. news reports vs. scholarly papers vs. textbooks.

• Do we have a tag for questions about 記号 / other symbols in Japanese writing? I took a brief look at the tags list but couldn't find anything. – senshin May 5 '14 at 6:24
  • I don't see any tags specifically about symbols, but you could always make one :-) – snailboat May 5 '14 at 7:37
  • I'd be curious to know the Japanese translations for "less than or equal to" and "greater than or equal to" – Eliseo d'Annunzio Mar 1 '18 at 0:26

≦ is used everywhere in Japan, unless it's a paper written in English.

• Just to be perfectly clear, by "everywhere", presumably you mean "everywhere in Japan"? – Eiríkr Útlendi May 21 '14 at 23:54
    @EiríkrÚtlendi: No I mean, in all domains e.g. school text books, books, company reports, Japanese journals etc. – Enno Shioji May 22 '14 at 9:19
  • Revise my question :) -- "everywhere in Japanese?" I'm not that familiar with the typography conventions of the non-English-writing world, and your answer above sounds like only English writing uses the ≤ while all other languages use the ≦. Is that your intended meaning? – Eiríkr Útlendi May 22 '14 at 15:39
    @EiríkrÚtlendi: Oh no, I meant in Japan. I'll edit the answer – Enno Shioji May 22 '14 at 16:50

I remember I only used ≦ in elementary and middle schools, but in collage (computer science major), everyone switched to ≤. I forgot about high school. So I'm sure both are used, but unless it's something scientific, I think most people use ≦.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.