I have troubles finding the following expressions or the like in Japanese. It is in mathematical contexts:

1. Differential geometry
  2. (Point-set) Topology
  3. Submanifolds
  4. Smooth functions

Are there places where I can find similar terms more directly? I know that jisho.org does cover some basic terms (yes, you can find stuff like Riemann curvature tensor) but sometimes I cannot find basic ones (like I can find geometry and manifold but not differential geometry).

Don Zagier has a 4-page scan of an English–Japanese Dictionary for Mathematical Terminology. Being only 4 pages short, it is only a "cheat sheet" and maybe serves less as a dictionary and more as a first vocabulary list of expressions to learn. (Japanese mathematics libraries will have dictionaries with hundreds of pages for this purpose.)

ALC's 英辞郎 which @Eiríkr Útlendi suggested in the comments seems to be quite complete as it contains even more technical terminology (such as derived functor, plurisubharmonic function, properly discontinuous action, etc.). Else, @Ringil's strategy of finding the term on Wikipedia and looking on the linked Japanese site is also a good strategy.

The terms you're asking about would be

1. 微分幾何学【びぶんきかがく】 differential geometry
  2. 位相幾何学【いそうきかがく】 topology (the subject area)
  3. 部分多様体【ぶぶんたようたい】 submanifold/subvariety
  4. 滑らか【なめらか】な関数【かんすう】 smooth function

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.