Assuming present tense, we can use i-adjectives in an attributive context both in the affirmative form:

高い 椅子 が あります - there's an expensive chair

And in the negative form:

高くない 椅子 が あります - there's an inexpensive chair

I know we can use na-adjectives similarly in the affirmative form:

綺麗な 人 が います - there's a pretty person

But for the life of me I can't find any info on whether using na-adjectives in the negative form is allowed in an attributive context (i.e. modifying a noun rather than as a predicative with a copula). So is the following grammatical?

綺麗じゃない 人 が います - there's a non-pretty person

New contributor
Max Shawabkeh is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

Your guessed-at negative attributive is perfectly correct. The only caveat I'd add is that じゃ is a somewhat-informal contraction for では, and thus you should probably use the full では form in any formal spoken or written context.

綺麗[じゃ]{●}ない 人 が います
          ↓
綺麗[で]{●}[は]{●}ない 人 が います

Happy studying!

Although the name might scare people away, Japanesewithanime actually has a really in-depth post that covers this topic. I'll just quote the relevant part discussing why your guess was right, but there's a ton more information, so you might want to read through it.

The na of na-adjectives is actually a copula. The prenominal copula, or attributive copula.

Basically, da だ is the copula you use in an independent clause, while na な is the copula you use in an attributive clause, also called adjectival clause. A clause that describes nouns.

But there isn't a negative form of な, so you have to go back to だ.

The negative form of na-adjectives is literally just replacing the normal copula by a negative copula such as denai でない, dewanai ではない or its contraction, janai じゃない.

He includes a link talking about the difference in usage between ではない and でない

New contributor
user35327 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • That's a really neat article! Thanks for the link! – Max Shawabkeh Sep 12 at 5:40

Your Answer

Max Shawabkeh is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.