I recently heard about something that would be roughly translated as “uncle's jokes” (the Japanese word for it should be something like 伯父ネタ or 伯父ガル but I can't remember correctly what I heard the only part where I am sure is that it started with 叔父/伯父).

Basically, it is just a play on words (by playing on the phonetic similarities of different words). Right now, I am only able to remember one.

猫寝込んだ。(ねこねこんだ)

My question is how is it called and would you know some more?

「おやじギャグ」じゃないかな?「布団が吹っ飛んだ」とか・・ For more: ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/…
    – Chocolate
    Mar 14 '16 at 7:46
  • That's exactly that. You should post it as an answer because it perfectly answers my question. Mar 14 '16 at 7:51
  • Stupid example: you arrive at someone's house for a slumber party. Upon entering the house, you say, 「パジャマ着ます!」 It's basically just dumb puns, and given the large number of homophones or near-homophones in Japanese, there's lots of room to play around. :) Mar 14 '16 at 19:58
    @EiríkrÚtlendi そういえばNHKの番組のコーナーに「パジャマでおじゃま」ってのがありましたっけ。
    – Chocolate
    Mar 19 '16 at 7:18

It is called おやじギャグ and is also called ダジャレ.

Here are 100 examples: http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2136602894164225401

おやじ in the phrase おやじギャグ matches the "dad" in the English phrase "dad joke" -- it's the kind of dumb joke that generally only a dad would tell. :) Mar 14 '16 at 19:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.