I started learning japanese recently, and I looked back at the kanji I've learned, and I simply can't think of any kanji with an onyomi longer than 2 morae.

Is there really no kanji with an onyomi longer than 2 morae, and if so, why?

• 十【じゅう】、上【じょう】、食【しょく】…… – Zhen Lin Apr 27 '15 at 18:01
  • @ZhenLin The yoons modify the kana to the left, so じゅ kind of acts like a single character. – Alice Ryhl Apr 27 '15 at 18:06
    In terms of just kana, @ZhenLin is right. If we're talking syllables (or mora), then no, there is no 3-syllable kanji on-reading (at least in the jouyou list). – Eric Apr 27 '15 at 18:07
    I changed the question to ask about morae. – Alice Ryhl Apr 27 '15 at 20:11
    I'm pretty sure that's actually カイ and エ separately. – Zhen Lin Apr 27 '15 at 21:37

Recall that on-yomi are derived from the Chinese pronunciation of characters, which are (with few exceptions) monosyllabic. The basic structure of a syllable in Middle Chinese is as follows:

• An initial consonant
  • A glide
  • A vowel
  • A final – either another glide or a consonant, but not both

For instance, 關 (resp. 怪, 脚) is kwæn (resp. kwai, kjak) in Middle Chinese and has the kan-on クヮン (resp. クヮイ, キャク), but there are no syllables like kwain. Thus there is no way a trimoraic on-yomi would arise.

• What happened here? has an onyomi of メエトル – Alice Ryhl May 16 '15 at 20:52
    That's not on-yomi. It's obviously "metre", from French. – Zhen Lin May 16 '15 at 23:49
  • Sure, but why is it then listed under on? – Alice Ryhl May 17 '15 at 7:34
  • Why don't you ask the person who created the website? – Zhen Lin May 17 '15 at 8:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.