The Stack Overflow podcast is back! Listen to an interview with our new CEO.

New answers tagged


This やっぱり is being used to express to the son that the mother either had a hunch or the expectation that he wasn't going to like the cookie. It doesn't really translate well, but if I were to try to capture the same feeling in English I might say: まずい? → "Is it bad?" and やっぱりまずい? → "Is it bad? I thought/knew it might/would be."


How about this? This may be easier to read.


To fly is generally translated as 空{そら}(を)飛{と}ぶ (sora wo tobu). This is because 飛ぶ can mean a variety of other things than the English "fly". This can be seen most hilariously in the Japanese translation of the movie title for "Up!": 「カールじいさんの空飛ぶ家」(Kaaru Jii-san no sora tobu ie) Or literally "Grandpa Carl's Flying House" So I would translate "flying ...


After googling about a bit, I hit on a likely thread. I suspect that the actual message is something like the following. The piece that you specifically mention is in bold. お掛【か】けになった電話【でんわ】は電波【でんぱ】の届【とど】かない場所【ばしょ】にあるか​電源【でんげん】が入【はい】っていないため​かかりません。 Breaking down the translation of the bolded portion: 電源【でんげん】  が 入【はい】っていない ため power [SUBJ] in   ...


何それ? is not necessarily rude, but it is certainly informal. As such, it should probably only be used with friends or family or in an informal environment. Using it outside those boundaries might risk it sounding somewhat brusque or perhaps even rude. A standard polite alternative is: それは何ですか。 What is that?


I guess what she wants to say is called 「けもの道{みち}」. It implies a road through areas such as forests, bushes, hills, etc. only wild animals like boars, bears, mountain goats take. In a metaphorical sense, 「けもの道」 is used to describe an unusual lifestyle such as a life taking a risk other people would not want to. Ex) being an entrepreneur, not choosing the ...


As per the search results from JACK's comment, the extremely literal translation of "beaten path" is: [踏]{ふ}みならされた[道]{みち} where 踏みならす is "beat" in the sense of making a path, and 道 means road or path. That said, this is not a saying in Japanese the same way it is in English. The metaphor may hold up, but it's not going to be immediately familiar to ...

Top 50 recent answers are included