In the sentence:

姫様を助けてあげてください

The recipient of あげて is 姫様. So can I use 姫様に to explicitly imply the recipient and omit the object of 助けて (姫様を) and does the following sentence make sense?

姫様に助けてあげてください

1 Answer 1

No, you can't. The particle must agree with the main verb 助ける, not the subsidiary あげる.

• Thanks. If the recipient of あげる and the object of 助ける are not the same,like「王様に姫様を助けてあげてください」(please help the princess for the king), is it OK?
    – shepherd
    Commented Jun 9, 2023 at 4:26
    @shepherd - No, you would need to say 王様のために姫様を to make the meaning of "for" clear. This is also true when you want to be explicit about the beneficiary of くれる (ください), like 私たちのために姫様を.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Jun 9, 2023 at 4:52
  • So 「王様に姫様を助けてあげてください」is ungrammatical? I just want to explicitly imply the recipient of あげる.
    – shepherd
    Commented Jun 9, 2023 at 5:20
  • @shepherd - It doesn’t work that way. 王様に would be understood as another argument of 助ける but this verb doesn’t take two objects like say, 送る. (I don’t think you can “explicitly imply” something…)
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Jun 9, 2023 at 5:59
  • Sorry, I can't understand it well. I want to use the structure: 「〜に〜してあげる」. So If I change the verb:「姫様に魔王を倒してあげてください」does it make sense and have meaning "please do the princess a favor to defeat the devil "?
    – shepherd
    Commented Jun 9, 2023 at 8:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .