I was reading a lyric of a song from an anime called bocchi the rock and there was a line that I didn't really understand what it means

いいな 君は みんなから愛されて 「いいや 僕は ずっと一人きりさ」

What does 愛されて here actually means. I know that it is a passive + te form of the 愛す but I don't know how it functions.

I did search the internet for the translated version of the lyrics but I find two possible translation for that line

Must be nice, to be loved by everyone.
“No such thing, I have always been alone”

and

How lucky would it be, for everyone to have loved you.
"The thing is, I've really been all alone this whole time."

So I really don't know which is the correct translation for 愛されて in this context.

Either way, "you" are loved by everyone. Which part is not clear to you?
    – aguijonazo
    Commented May 8, 2023 at 13:51
  • @aguijonazo the first translation I understand it as the person in question is being loved by everyone while the second translation I understand it as the the singer wants the person in question to be loved by everyone. This part is the one that is confusing to me Commented May 8, 2023 at 13:56

1 Answer 1

It's part of a longer sentence. The sentence, in a more "prosaic" word order, is:

君はみんなから愛されて、いいな。

How wonderful it is that you're loved by everyone!
You're loved by everyone, and/so I envy you!

Here, 愛されて is functioning as the reason for the corresponding predicate (いいな). In other words, it's the te-form (て-form) for Cause or Reason.

Also note that いいな, いいなぁ and so on often express the feeling of envy.

• Huh, I never knew that the te form for cause or reason can be use this way. I always thought that for this usage, the te form verb must be placed before the consequence of the cause or reason Commented May 8, 2023 at 14:19
  • @asyrafshaari In an ordinary prose, yes you're correct, but 倒置 is very common in poems and lyrics.
    – naruto
    Commented May 8, 2023 at 14:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .