Seeing the sentence

詳しくはプロフィールを見てください。

I understand that 詳しくは means "for more details; for further information".

However, taking into account that 詳しくは is the result of turning 詳しい into an adverb and adding the particle は, I would like to know if you can do the same with other i-adjectives to form expressions. If so, could you please give me some examples?

Besides, may "Adjective-i → Adverb く + は" be considered as a grammar construction? Would there be any similar process with na-adjectives?

1 Answer 1

If we look at the 6 entry for は in スーパー大辞林 :

動作・作用の行われる条件・事態を表す。現代語では「ては」の形で用いられるが,古語では「ずは」「くは」「しくは」などの形をとることもある。「不正があって―ならない」「おこられて―大変だ」「会社として―万全の備えをするつもりです」「忘れて―夢かとぞ思ふ/伊勢 83」「あらたまの年の緒(オ)長くあひ見ず―恋しくあるべし/万葉 4408」「鶯の谷よりいづるこゑなく―春くることをたれかしらまし/古今(春上)」「恋しく―形見にせよとわが背子が植ゑし秋萩/万葉 2119

translation:

Indicates a condition or situation in which an action or an effect takes place. In modern language it is used in the 「ては」form, but in archaic Japanese it sometimes takes the form 「ずは」「くは」「しくは」, etc.

So apparently しくは is a form from old japanese that is still used in modern japanese .

I would like to know if you can do the same with other i-adjectives to form expressions. If so, could you please give me some examples?

As far as i have searched it does actually , here is an example from japanese media that i searched :

1 正しくは 天空魔な Strictly speaking, it's Sky Magic. fairy tail

• 2-5 are actually not instances of the grammar that OP (and your quote) are talking about, but another construction altogether that has an emphatic or contrastive function.
    – jogloran
    Commented Mar 30, 2023 at 20:30
  • Thank you I edited it, thies two construction can overlap ! Commented Mar 30, 2023 at 20:36

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .