What is the proper way? According to jisho, it seems as simple as saying 食{しょく}品{ひん}店{てん}? In the case of a Walmart, Target, GameStop Costco or Family Dollar could these all be considered 食{しょく}品{ひん}店{てん}?.

I know some stores are referred to as Konbini as well, but those stores are smaller in size as, like 7-Eleven. I am wondering if there are any other spoken words that used to refer to stores of various sizes as well.

I may be looking at a wrong one, but does GameStop count as a grocery store? gamestop.com/deals
    – sundowner
    Mar 19, 2023 at 23:00
    GameStop sells food now?
    – Leebo
    Mar 20, 2023 at 0:53
  • 私は🤡です。maybe energy drinks and candy, but you both are correct i should replace that example.
    – greg
    Mar 20, 2023 at 17:38

1 Answer 1

"Grocery store" in Englsh may refer to different things.

Grocery store

A grocery store (AE), grocery shop (BE) or simply grocery is a store that primarily retails a general range of food products, which may be fresh or packaged. In everyday U.S. usage, however, "grocery store" is a synonym for supermarket, and is not used to refer to other types of stores that sell groceries.

The definition of "grocery store" varies...

If "grocery store" refers to supermarkets, the equivalent term in Japanese is スーパーマーケット or スーパー for short. Most スーパー in Japan also sell toothbrushes, detergents and such, but there are smaller スーパー that almost exclusively sell food (sometimes specifically called 食品スーパー). A large Walmart seems to sell even TVs and vacuum cleaners, but Japanese supermarkets don't sell such items.

食料品店 is a general term for stores that sell food to take home, and this may be closer to the "original" meaning of groceries. However, it is not a term commonly used in everyday life. Perhaps it refers primarily to small specialized stores such as bakeries, coffee bean stores, etc.

There are also コンビニ (convenience stores) and ドラッグストア (drugstores) in Japan. These are almost the same as their English equivalents.

@greg -- To add to naruto's answer, there's also the older English term greengrocer, referring to a shop that sells produce, but not other items. This seems to equate to the Japanese term 八百屋. Mar 20, 2023 at 19:49
  • thanks for the inputs @Eiríkr Útlendi!
    – greg
    Mar 21, 2023 at 2:54
  • @naruto would you say that スーパー is used more commonly than 食料品店?
    – greg
    Mar 21, 2023 at 2:54
    @greg Any kindergartener can use スーパー, while adults use 食料品店 less than once a year.
    – naruto
    Mar 21, 2023 at 3:23
  • @naruto which term do adults use more commonly? スーパーマーケット?
    – greg
    Mar 21, 2023 at 16:48

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .