enter image description here

I am really confused on how to translate もちうるもの全て in the first manga panel. I tried pasting it into some online translators and it said something like "everything that can be used" but shouldn't it be 全てのもちうるもの if that's the case? So what does もちうるもの全て actually mean and how does it fit to the whole sentence?

Edit: Ok, I think I understand now how もちうるもの全て grammatically works. But I'm still a bit confused how does もちうるもの全て works together with the sentence before it (見廻組に反乱勢力) grammatically and how to translate it.

1 Answer 1

The pattern [clause] + もの全て means all (that) [clause]. So もちうるもの全て means all that I have (for use).

Perhaps you can think it derives from '[clause] ものすべて', which is the basic AのB=B of A and literally all of what [clause].

Other (similar) examples:

• 見るもの(の)全てが新しい everything I see is new (to me)
  • 持っていたお金(の)ほとんどを使ってしまった I spent almost all the money I had.
  • 聞いたこと(の)すべてを忘れた I forgot everything I heard.
  • I see, so 全てのもちうるもの and もちうるもの全て is basically the same thing. One more question, how exactly does もちうるもの全て fits with the sentence before it (見廻組に反乱勢力) since there isn't really anything to connect the two sentence? Commented Feb 13, 2023 at 9:12
  • @asyrafshaari I don't know that part of Gintama, but 見廻組に反乱勢力 should be (all) the speaker has to fight for his(?) purpose.
    – sundowner
    Commented Feb 13, 2023 at 9:15
  • Also 全てのもちうるもの is not very idiomatic.
    – sundowner
    Commented Feb 13, 2023 at 9:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .