How to say "at what time does this shop open?" / "at what time does this shop close?".

My dictionary gives no example of this sort with the verbs 開ける, and 開く.

I found 開店する and 閉店する, but it correspond to "open" and "close" in the sense of starting and stopping to run a business. Here are also some example sentences with these expressions.

There is a discussion here and here about the "open a shop" here, but not about "to close". They lack examples and explanations.

Reading the documentation from the Internet, I also feel there is a lot of meaning variation depending on the word ひらく (開く), あく (開く), 開ける and the conjugation 開きます, 開いています.

1 Answer 1

In terms of translation:

at what time does this shop open?

Possibilities are:

• この店の開店は{いつ,何時{なんじ}}ですが
  • この店は{何時に,いつ}{開{あ}きます,開店します}か
  • この店の何時からやってますか (Asking when the shop is already open; sounds more like Since what time has the shop been open)

at what time does this shop close?

I think it is more usual to ask (literally) until when is the shop open.

Possibilities:

• この店は{いつ,何時}まで{やって,開{あ}いて}ますか
  • この店の営業時間は何時までですか
  • この店の閉店(時間)は何時ですか (This is literally closer to at what time...close?)

So in terms of vocabulary, 開店/閉店する can be used for to open/close (a shop) daily. As you understand, they are also used for to start/end the business.

• オープンする may actually be the most frequent for to start the business. This can be used for opening the shop daily, but less frequently (I think).
  • 開{ひら}く means also more often to start the business. For example, 彼女は新宿に店を開{ひら}いた means She started a shop in Shinjuku. The subject is the business owner. Cf. 新しいカレー屋が開{ひら}いた sounds less idiomatic to me (カレー屋がオープンした should be more common).
  • Thank you very much. Maybe I will be a bit annoying, but can you add the kanjis where possible? For instance やって or あいて. Otherwise it can be a bit confusing
    – Starckman
    Feb 11, 2023 at 12:52
    @Starckman Edited. やっている doesn't have kanji.
    – sundowner
    Feb 11, 2023 at 13:01
  • やって/やっている is from やる 'to do', right?
    – Starckman
    Feb 11, 2023 at 13:03
    @Starckman Yes, but to be (in the state of being) open is always やっている (progressive of やる). 店をやる can mean to start a shop/business.
    – sundowner
    Feb 11, 2023 at 13:05

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .