Does Japanese have a term more-or-less equivalent to the German Klugscheißer (literally, "clever-shitter"; in English: smartypants, smartass, know-it-all, etc.)?

(Needless to say, this is not a term suitable for polite conversation!)

The best I could do was to look for translations for "smartass" or "smartypants". All I got this way was 賢い人, which, AFAIK, is not considered particularly vulgar, and does not even carry the derogatory/mocking overtones of the Klugscheißer. (But please correct me if I'm wrong!)

P.S. If you found an online source for this translation, please include it in your answer! I had no success with the many I tried, including a short video entirely devoted to equivalents in various languages (but not in Japanese).


1 Answer 1


In French, this has two meanings. Both conveys that the person is irritating but one is "clever for real", one is "pretending to be".

For the "pretending to be clever", you have 知ったかぶり.

  • Well, it's got the sht part... :) I think that calling someone a *Klugscheißer is not so much a comment on whether the person's knowledge is for real, as it is a way to tell someone that the sentiment his/her knowledge induces in others is irritation rather than admiration.
    – kjo
    Commented Dec 25, 2012 at 3:20

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .