In Yakuza 6, former idol Haruka is looking at an online article about how, as a surrogate daughter of a yakuza, she was spotted in an orphanage in Okinawa.

One of the comments on the article says "だれか凸お願いします♪". I'm wondering what 凸 is supposed to mean here? I have a feeling it's some kind of internet slang.

Here's a picture for context: picture of comment

1 Answer 1

It means to contact directly. More specifically, to make a phone call, make a visit, talk to. It derives from identifying 突{とつ}撃 and 凸{とつ}.

The usage of 突撃 means an 'attack' in a figurative sense: abruptly being talked to or called by unknown people is considered sort of aggressive. More traditionally, on TV, 突撃レポート means a reporter making unexpected visits to someone or talking to people on the street (supposedly without appointments etc.).

People doing 凸 are sort of paparazzi. It looks like the particular sentence says 'Please someone visit there in person (and tell me what happens)'.

So ultimately, what is the poster saying? Something like "Can someone DM me?"? It just seems kind of weird/out-of-the-blue.
    – chausies
    Feb 1, 2023 at 4:43
  • @chausies Not sure the context of the message board(?), it could be "DM me*, but I guess it's usually rather DM him/her, whoever it is being the topic. There was a 凸待ち (here youtuber awaiting DM), so "DM me" is a possibility if it fits the context.
    – sundowner
    Feb 1, 2023 at 4:55
    I guess this is "Call (or visit) the orphanage directly (and report the conversation here)".
    – naruto
    Feb 1, 2023 at 6:20
    The dictionary meaning I'm seeing for 突撃 seems very different. Feb 1, 2023 at 12:25
    凸待ち is a common form of stream for Vtubers (I guess not all of them identify as "virtual") for special events (character birthdays, debut anniversaries, subscriber milestones - though those are more commonly karaoke - etc.). Lacking context, machine translation usually renders this as "convex waiting", which has become something of a meme among viewers. I had been thinking about asking about this 凸 myself. Feb 1, 2023 at 12:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .