I'm a beginner in Japanese; and as an exercise I've tried to translate a sentence from the LN. While I do realize that I've bit more that I can chew, I wish to at least try :)

The sentence that I am struggling with is (with emboldened specific point)

その中で放たれた時空の大魔法は、日本のとある高校の教室で炸裂した。

As far as I can tell, emboldened part means (roughly) 'was released in space-time/exploded space time'. I don't really understand the たれた suffix. We have 放 in past tense, TA form used to modify 時空. I would expect this word to have った suffix. What am I missing?

Have you learned passive voice yet?
    – Jimmy Yang
    Jan 26, 2023 at 2:15
  • No, I did not. While I was searching for a hint, I've come across the passive voice, but it only seems to be rareru... And it seems to have my answer here -> tofugu.com/japanese-grammar/verb-passive-form-rareru Godan, with passive form of tsu verb. Thanks, you have really helped. Jan 26, 2023 at 2:25

2 Answers 2

放たれた【はなたれた】 is 放つ【はなつ】 in the past passive form. (Note that 放す【はなす】 is a different verb with the same kanji.)

• 放つ: "to unleash (something)"
  • 放った: "unleashed (something)" (past)
  • 放たれる: "is unleashed" (passive)
  • 放たれた: "was unleashed" (past passive)

It modifies not only 時空 but 時空の大魔法 as a whole. Here, 時空(の)魔法 is a category of magic often referred to as Time Magic.

その中で放たれた時空の大魔法は、日本のとある高校の教室で炸裂した。
The great time(-space) magic unleashed in it exploded in a classroom of a certain high school in Japan.

Thanks to Jimmy Yang, he has pointed me in the right direction. The answer is:

Passive voice of a godan verb with a suffix as seen here https://www.tofugu.com/japanese-grammar/verb-passive-form-rareru/

which then is changed to form to be used as a noun modifier.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .