There are several words for walls, fences and hedges and I can't get clear in my mind what's what.

First let me clarify the English meanings (at least as I think of them):

1. A hedge is a boundary to a garden, field or property made from plants/trees/shrubs.
  2. A fence is a boundary to a garden, field or property typically made from wood or wire mesh.
  3. A wall is a boundary to a garden, field or property made from brick/stone/concrete.
  4. A wall is also a side of a building or of a room in a building.

With those definitions in mind could someone please classify the following words: 壁, 塀, 垣, 生垣, any other words that spring to mind.

I'm assuming that 生垣 unambiguously means 'hedge' given the 生 kanji implying life, but I'm very confused about the others.

Image search will give you some ideas. You might want to add 柵 and フェンス to that...
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Jan 21, 2023 at 16:07

1 Answer 1

Generally, 壁 is used for rooms or buildings and 塀/垣 for boundaries.

• 垣 is usually made of something 'natural'.
  • 塀 is more wall-like (typically, top two in the first picture below or the second pic called ブロック塀{べい} - source 1, source 2).

垣根 in modern speech is synonymous with 垣, which has subtypes 生垣, 竹垣 etc. A typical 生垣 is as the bottom right one below, and 竹垣 is the bottom left. I think 生垣 is more or less a patch of shrubs. This can be a boundary between a property and outside, or between a path and fields in a park, for example.

enter image description here

柵/フェンス is typically like below (often seen in schools; source). A wire mesh fence would be called フェンス or 柵, but wood fence may be called 垣(根) as well.

Lastly, walls like Hadrian's Wall is called 長城. The (English) name should sound odd to most Japanese (at least to me), because it is too short (vertically) for 壁 (the translation for wall).

An aside: as above suggests, 塀 is usually shorter than 壁, but the wall surrounding a prison is still a 塀. As such 塀の中 is a euphemism for in(side of) jail.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .