There are many pairs of transitive and intransitive verbs in Japanese: e.g. 上げる and 上がる, 交える and 交じる, 広げる and 広がる.

Separately, transitive verbs are called 他動詞{たどうし} and intransitive verbs are called 自動詞{じどうし}.

So is there a single term which refers to one of these pairs of transitive and intransitive verbs? That is, what is the linguistic term, in Japanese, for a pairing such as 上げる/上がる?

  • Do you want the equivalent of "transitivity" or "transitive-intransitive pair"?
    – naruto
    Jan 4 at 2:08
  • There is this term 自他の対応 but it refers to a correspondence between an intransitive verb and a transitive verb, not a pair.
    – aguijonazo
    Jan 4 at 9:11
  • @naruto the latter Jan 4 at 10:56
  • @aguijonazo thank you, this is pretty close. I did some digging based on this and found the phrase 「自・他対応」 which may be what I'm looking for? Jan 4 at 10:59
  • 1
    How about 有対動詞(paired verbs)? Jan 4 at 13:17


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .