Is there a difference between 作{さっ}家{か} and 作{さく}者{しゃ}, both meaning author?

I've also found 著{ちょ}者{しゃ}, but this one the dictionary says usually refers specifically to an author of a specific book.

Do 作家 and 作者 refer to different types of authors/creators?
Or are they used interchangeably?

3 Answers 3

A 作家 is somebody who creates 作品 for a living, while 作者 is more tied to specific works.

作者: 'Somebody who has created a work, especially the creator of a work of art.'

作家: 'Somebody who produces works of art, or does so as an occupation, especially a novelist.'

Obviously there's a little overlap but generally, 'Jane Austen is the author of Pride and Prejudice' is 作者, while 'Natsume Souseki is a famous Japanese author' is 作家.

(Little note that might make things clearer: '[company] is the author of this software for purposes of copyright' in a video game's credits is 作者.)

Supplementing Angelos's answer, 著者 is roughly the non-fiction counterpart of 作者. It usually refers to the author of a specific book, article etc.

By examples:

• 小説の著者 is odd / 小説の作者 is natural / 小説の作家 is odd
  • 論文の著者 is natural / 論文の作者 is odd / 論文の作家 is odd
  • 作者の生活 would mean some particular writer's life / 作家の生活 would mean life of people whose profession is writing (although it of course depends on contexts)

There is also 筆者{ひっしゃ}, which is used like a pronoun in the passage. It can be I or s/he. For example, 筆者の考えでは means in my opinion or in her/his opinion just like English in the author's opinion.

作家 refers to someone writes/draws for a living, or someone who has produced works consistently, has many genre-related compounds: 短編作家 (writer of short stories), SF作家 (scifi writer), etc.

作者 is used more commonly in relation to a specific work, than a genre or a career. 短編作者 and SF作者 are less idiomatic, but Xの作者 is common where X is the title of a work.

著者 is usually the creator of a written work. 作者 and 作家 might be typically writers, but they can also be painters, sculptors, etc.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .