How can I make statistics of how many syllables a Japanese verb has? I want to statistic 五段 and 一段 verbs, respectively and exclude all the する verbs.

1 Answer 1

I am not aware of any publicly available statistics already compiled. There might well be such datasets, I just don't know of any.

There are various publicly available Japanese dictionaries, either bilingual like Eijirō and WWWJDIC (one of the datastores also used by Jisho.org), or monolingual like those made available via Weblio or Kotobank. One option would be to find a way to access those public datastores, identify verbs, filter by conjugation type, and count the morae (kana).

I think WWWJDIC might be the easiest to access this way, as I think I remember reading something about that in the #Dictionary section of their User Guide.

• Note that most online Japanese-English dictionaries like jisho.org are largely based off the publicly downloadable machine-readable JMdict dataset (edrdg.org/jmdict/j_jmdict.html) so that might be a good place to start.. It does have verbs broken down by type, as well as kana-based pronunciation data which can be easily parsed to count morae, etc (in XML format).
    – Foogod
    Dec 9, 2022 at 19:43
  • @Foogod, thank you for the direct link. The WWWJDIC site uses the same datastore, among others. Dec 9, 2022 at 21:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .