I am reading the book 鵺の家 by 廣嶋玲子, and I have a question about the usage of the words と言って and だ in the following.

だが、昨日、兄はこういった。もう逃げることはない。富を見つけたのだ。我々はこの土地でいきていくぞ。皆は喜び、その富とやらのことを詳しく聞きたがった。だが、若き棟梁はそれはまた改めて話すと言って、決して口を割らなかった。そして今日になって、そっと妹に耳打ちしてきたのだ。森の中で見つけた富を、おまえに最初に見せてやろうと。兄の気持ちと、少女は喜んだ。

My attempt at translation:

However, yesterday the older brother said the following. There shall be no more running. For I have discovered a treasure. We will be living in this land. Everyone (in the family) rejoiced and wanted to hear about that treasure. But the young head of the family (the older brother) while repeating what he said, did not disclose any details at all. And today he whispered in secret into the ear of his younger sister. He said, I will first show the treasure, which I discovered in the middle of the forest, to you. The girl was glad that he felt that way.

I am not sure about と言って。In the last sentence why is there だ? Could we replace だ with に or 見ると? What about 言って。Thank you for help.

1 Answer 1

若き棟梁はそれはまた改めて話すと言って、決して口を割らなかった

To me it sounds like "the young leader said that he would talk that another time but never confessed". Like "said XXX and never confessed". And that is probably why he talked to the sister first. Like a secret.

と言って can mean adversity sometimes.

兄の気持ちだと、少女は喜んだ

To me, that と is the content particle. だ seems to be there because "she was glad that her older brother's feeling was that": telling her.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .