Top of my head, I think of these 6 anime/manga:

ō's that are 'oh'

1. Tamaki Suoh (須王 環 Suō Tamaki) from OHSHC
  2. Ōtsuki (大槻) from Kaiji - ok I can't find on the fandom page, but I swear the subs say Ohtsuki instead of Outsuki
  3. Kaname Ohgi (扇 要, Ōgi Kaname) from Code Geass

Vs

1. Shion no Ō (しおんの王, lit. Shion's King) - Does it count if MAL romanises as ou not oh?
  2. The Devil Is a Part-Timer! (Japanese: はたらく魔王さま!, Hepburn: Hataraku Maō-sama!, lit. "Working Demon King!" or "Demon Lord at Work!") - Sadao Maou (Satan, 真奥 貞夫, Maō Sadao)
  3. Maoyū: Maō Yūsha (まおゆう魔王勇者, "Demon King and Hero") - I guess similarly it's gonna be Maou Yūsha. (I think Maoyū should even be Maōyū ?)

Guess:

When it's a name, use h? Idk. As for the Maō-sama case, I believe 'Maō' is not really a name but a title similar to 'Maō' in Maōyū.

It depends entirely on whatever the person presenting it wants to do
    – Angelos
    Nov 25, 2022 at 12:20
  • @Angelos eg...?
    – BCLC
    Nov 25, 2022 at 13:14
    The すおう you have given is 'Suoh' in most translations, but for example Tatsuya Suou from Persona is spelled like that (not the same Kanji spelling, but the hiragana is identical). 'Outsuki' is not really an option because it's おおつき, but the translators could have spelled it as any of 'Otsuki', 'Ohtsuki', and 'Ootsuki', just depending on how they wanted to do it.
    – Angelos
    Nov 25, 2022 at 13:27

1 Answer 1

In terms of names used in passports today, either o or oh is fine and it is a matter of choice (of the person who applies in case of passport).

E.g., the guide from the consulate-general of Japan in Boston has the following as allowed romanization for passport names.

氏名のフリガナ ヘボン式ローマ字 OHによる長音表記
オオ O OH
例:オオノ ONO OHNO
コオリ KORI KOHRI
オウ O OH
例:コウノ KONO KOHNO
オウギ OGI OHGI

As noted in the guide, originally only o, which is the correct one in Hepburn romanization, was allowed.

The following contains how おう/おお are transcribed in other romanization.

• OHNO - LOL thanks sundowner!!! trololol
    – BCLC
    Nov 25, 2022 at 16:03
    but wait all your passport examples are oh instead of ou ?
    – BCLC
    Nov 25, 2022 at 16:04
    @BCLC Yes. As far as following the rules, ou is never used. I edited the answer.
    – sundowner
    Nov 25, 2022 at 22:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .