These three words give me a hard time: めちゃ, めちゃめちゃ, めちゃくちゃ. Do they have distinct meanings? Do they differ in nuance? What do they actually mean.

Weblio refers all three words back to a single meaning of めちゃくちゃ, but Jisho has multiple meanings for each word.

There are also むちゃ, むちゃくちゃ. Roughly むちゃくちゃ=めちゃめちゃ=めちゃくちゃ; それは無茶 is ok (unlike それはめちゃ). くちゃくちゃ is a bit different crumpled.
    – sundowner
    Nov 15 at 12:19

1 Answer 1

めちゃ and めっちゃ work as an adverb (めちゃ走った, めっちゃ面白い) but not as an adjective (めっちゃな話, それはめちゃだ). めちゃくちゃ and めちゃめちゃ work as both an adverb and a na-adjective, but I feel めちゃめちゃ is more common as an adverb.

めちゃくちゃ is already relatively informal, but めちゃめちゃ and め(っ)ちゃ are clearly more colloquial or slangy than めちゃくちゃ. If you used め(っ)ちゃ in a job interview, your education level would be questioned. Basically you can think of めちゃくちゃ as the standard version and the other two as slangy variants.

Meaning-wise, I think there is not a big difference. They all mean something along the lines of crazy, absurd, mad, chaotic, but can also work as an intensifier (like crazy, super, insanely, etc).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .