Reading some 読解 Material I stumbled upon the word 重用. I read it as じゅうよう without much attention, only to notice that the furigana on top read "ちょうよう". Searching a bit on dictionaries I saw that actually both readings are acceptable, and actually a native speaker on Forvo chose to read it as "じゅうよう".

Why does an official text from a newspaper have the furigana "ちょうよう" then? Is it a matter of Dialect? Spoken vs written Language?

1 Answer 1

In short, today both are acceptable but ちょうよう is more authentic according to web sources (e.g. this). That should be why it was used in the newspaper. There is no difference in nuance/meaning.

The original reading of 重用 is ちょうよう, but more and more people use じゅうよう most probably because じゅう for 重 is more common (e.g., 重要{じゅうよう}, 重大{じゅうだい}, 重機{じゅうき}). As a result, じゅうよう became a conventional reading for 重用.

FYI The same is true for 重複, whose original reading is ちょうふく and じゅうふく is another accepted reading. I believe most dictionaries list both readings for such words (e.g, デジタル大辞泉).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .