In an IMABI article on 後, the author explains the difference between ~後には and ~後にも:

It's also possible to see ~後には and ~後にも. The meanings of the individual particles do not behave any differently. If you wish to emphasize that Action/State B occurs right after Action A, you use ~後にも. If you wish to emphasize that Action B/State B occurs right after Action A, then you use ~後には.

I believe the author made a mistake in the bolded sentence, since he says the same thing about both ~後には and ~後にも?

Question: What is the difference between the following 3 sentences? (I put my guesses in parentheses).

1. 嵐の後に凪が来る。 ("After a storm comes the calm")
  2. 嵐の後にも凪が来る。("Even after a storm comes the calm"?)
  3. 嵐の後には凪が来る。("After as little as a storm comes the calm"??)
    This is about the general difference between は and も has little to do with 後.
    – aguijonazo
    Nov 4, 2022 at 3:42
    You can ignore the bold part and should just note about the preceding "The meanings of the individual particles do not behave any differently."
    – sundowner
    Nov 4, 2022 at 6:58

2 Answers 2

I am not an expert, so I could be wrong, but based on what I've seen (and my general understanding of the particles involved too), I would interpret those sentences as:

嵐の後に凪が来る。 "After the storm comes the calm" (suggesting a specific instance)
嵐の後にも凪が来る。"After even a storm comes a calm" (in addition to other things that calm comes after)
嵐の後には凪が来る。"After a storm comes a calm" (in general)

• 嵐の後に凪が来る。 ("After a storm comes the calm") -> OK.
  • 嵐の後にも凪が来る。("Even after a storm comes the calm") -> OK
  • 嵐の後には凪が来る。 -> I think "A calm always comes after a storm"
  • The article from which George has quoted seems to be at least trying to say that either 嵐の後には凪が来る or 嵐の後にも凪が来る means "A calm comes right after a storm" -- but as a result of the error George points out, it instead says that both alternatives mean that. Your answer implies but doesn't quite state that in fact neither of the two alternatives includes the "right after" nuance. If that's what you mean, I think you could strengthen your answer by saying so explicitly. (I'm pointing this out because I myself would like to know if either one does have that nuance.)
    – Nanigashi
    Dec 7, 2022 at 17:37

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .