After reviewing some old 新完全マスター material I came across this sentence, which took me a bit to parse:

この仕事が無事に_ _ ⊛ _、心から感謝している。

1. チームワークが
  2. 終わるのは
  3. ほかならず
  4. よかったからに

My "immersion reflexes" kicked in and I selected 2-1-4-3. I got it right, but the solutions manual just provides the correct answer (not the actual order).

My thought process is the following: First of all the only thing that can fill the first gap is 終わるのは (無事に終わるのは has such a natural flow). Also, 3 must follow 4 since 4 ends in に, thus completing the pattern にほかならない・ならず. Putting it all together 1 has to fit the 2nd spot (since putting it on spot 4 is completely invalid), thus getting the final sentence:

この仕事が無事に終わるのはチームワークがよかったからにほかならず、心から感謝している。

which roughly translates to something like:

This job was completed successfully only because of good teamwork, for which I am sincerely grateful.

Since I couldn't confirm this anywhere, I wanted a second opinion.

If it is indeed correct, let this work as a reference for the next person who might be wondering the same thing.

"Putting it all together 2 has to fit the 2nd spot (since putting it on spot 4 is completely invalid), thus getting the final sentence:" I think you have a typo here.
    – sundowner
    Nov 2, 2022 at 21:15

1 Answer 1

Perhaps you've missed the cleft sentence grammar? This is a combination of the following two patterns:

• A(だ)からB ⟶ BのはA(だ)からだ ("It's because (of) A that B")
    (A cleft sentence where the reason part (から) has been pulled out for emphasis. See this)
  • Aだ ("is A") ⟶ Aにほかならない ("is nothing but A")

Putting the two together, we get:

• BのはA(だ)からにほかならない ("It's exactly because (of) A that B")

Thus a literal translation is:

この仕事が無事に終わるのはチームワークがよかったからにほかならず、心から感謝している。
It's exactly because our teamwork was good that this job was completed successfully, (so) I'm sincerely grateful.

Your translation attempt is correct, too.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .