I cannot really comprehend koyokana in the following short sentence: shoppu itte koyokana.

What meaning does koyokana give to the "shoppu itte" part. How could I divide koyokana in mind: koyo ka na or ko yo ka na

Could it be ~来ようかな?
    – Flaw
    Commented Dec 5, 2012 at 11:34
  • mm I think it might be:) though i haven't met with this before like this itte koyou kana.:) Eventhough I did see kuru as the following ittekimasu. maybe ittekoyou ka na is a more informal way. Commented Dec 5, 2012 at 12:30
    It's certainly 来ようかな, as in 行ってくる + volitional + the reflective かな. Did you originally see it written in romaji?
    – ssb
    Commented Dec 5, 2012 at 14:28
  • no I saw i written in hiragana and kanji this way ショップ行ってこよかな Commented Dec 5, 2012 at 15:45
  • @ssb is correct. This is just very casual. Think of when you use "I gotta go" or something like that.
    – Kenzo
    Commented Dec 5, 2012 at 16:24

1 Answer 1

" ショップ行ってこよかな " is a slangy way of saying the following:

ショップへ行って来ようかな

Assuming the subject is first person, here is how one can break it down:

ショップへ To the store

行って来よう Shall I go [to the store] (literally "shall I go to the store and come back"). *行ってこよう is the volitional form of 行ってくる. Without a question word, this could be translated as "Let's go [to the store]."

か question word

な indicates pondering this question. As a particle at the end of a sentence, な can denote emotion or emphasis. The more extended it is the more emphasis, i.e.,"なぁぁぁぁ。。。 "

So in natural English, the sentence ショップへ行って来ようかな becomes:

Hmmm, should I go to the store or not?

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .