In Japanese, how to call a wait pointer?

I am talking about a computer mouse pointer which becomes a spinning wheel or hourglass (depending on the OS) when the application is busy processing something, or frozen:

enter image description hereenter image description hereenter image description here

After discussion with 3 Japanese people, apparently ウェイトカーソル is acceptable but there might be something better.

  • In Java, I've seen 待ち状態のカーソル
    – Jesse Good
    Dec 5 '12 at 10:29
  • How would one translate "Spinning Beachball of Waiting"? That's what I call it.
    – istrasci
    Dec 5 '12 at 18:48
  • That's an interesting question...I actually don't know if I've ever heard of it called that in English, just usually "the hourglass" or "the spinning beach-ball", etc Dec 5 '12 at 21:23

According to Microsoft Language Portal, they call it “wait cursor” in English and “待機カーソル” in Japanese in the documentation for Visual Studio 2008 SP1, 2010, and 2012. I am not sure how popular this term is among users.

  • I've certainly never heard of either "wait pointer" or "wait cursor" in English, and I consider myself very computer-literate, so I'm inclined to believe it's not very popular except amongst people who have read that documentation. (More flippantly, but equally sincerely, I imagine that in practice the Japanese at least use the same sort of language we do to describe it, such as "beach ball of death" or "oh for ****'s sake that stupid ******* egg timer ******* again".)
    – Billy
    Dec 5 '12 at 19:50
  • 5
    @Billy: When it looked like an hourglass, it was definitely called 砂時計カーソル (hourglass cursor) or 砂時計アイコン (hourglass icon). I doubt that this name is used anymore in Mac or Windows because neither OS uses the hourglass shape by default. Now I might informally refer to it as something along 時間がかかるときに表示されるくるくる回るやつ (that spinning one that is shown when the computer is taking time). Dec 5 '12 at 23:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.