A live-stream gamer on YouTube wrote this sentence on his video description that normally goes beneath the video when you click 'Show more...' .

ロックマン10をクリアしたのですが、9の時にワイリー土下座が9回あった理由の回収です。

Google translate:

I cleared Rockman 10. It is the recovery of the reason why Wily Dogeza was 9 times at 9.

I think he is trying to say, "I've already beaten MegaMan 10, but I'm gonna re-discover the reason as to why Wily was defeated 9 times so far in this 9th MegaMan game."

2 Answers 2

回収 in a context like this refers to payoff, the act of giving an answer to a previous foreshadowing/mystery. 伏線を回収する is a common set phrase meaning "to pay off the foreshadowing". フラグを回収する is also common. 理由を回収する is not really a common set phrase, but can be understood in the same manner.

• 9の時にワイリー土下座が9回あった理由
    the reason why Wily's dogeza appeared 9 times in Mega Man 9
  • ~の回収です。
    This is the payoff (part) about ~.
    This (scene/video) finally explains ~.

((9の時にワイリー土下座が9回あった)理由の)回収です。

It seems to me your question is about the relative clause inside that sentence which may have clouded your understanding of the sentence. I hope partitioning the sentence this way helps clears it up for you.

• 9の時にワイリー土下座が9回あった modifies 理由, and tells us what that reason is, namely answers the why question
  • 9の時にワイリー土下座が9回あった理由 modifies 回収 and tells us the whole reason is a reason for the 回収

You can also use ため here to explain the reason: 9の時にワイリー土下座が9回あったための回収

Without more context it's hard for me to tell what 回収 here means. I'm also not sure why dogeza is mentioned.

In general, I can't think of a case where 〜理由のX means the reason described is one for X when the preceding clause already answers the why question. You would say 〜こと/のが理由のX in that case.
    – aguijonazo
    Commented Oct 27, 2022 at 3:07
    in any Megaman game, when you defeat the evil scientist - Dr.Willy, there will be a scene showing Willy knelt down before Megaman/ Rockman and bow to him (in dogeza style of JP) >> like asking for Megaman/Rockman's forgiveness and spare his life
    – 4chan user
    Commented Oct 27, 2022 at 4:20
  • @aguijonazo Okay I see! I think there's a fine distinction here that I need to get a better handle on.
    – Eddie Kal
    Commented Oct 27, 2022 at 5:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .