Is it an abbreviation of 転勤することになる? How is it different from just 転勤する?

Example: 父は京都支店へ転勤になりました

Is it similar to the humbleness of 結婚になりました!?

2 Answers 2

I assume you already know the basics of how ことになる works.

転勤することになりました normally refers to a future event (relative to the time of the statement). "It was decided that (someone) would be transferred."

転勤になりました can also refer to a future event, in which case the two sentences are interchangeable. But 転勤になりました can be used also to refer to a past event, like "(Someone) was transferred (following someone's decision)". So 先月転勤になりました usually means this person was actually transferred last month, whereas 先月転勤することになりました usually means such a decision was made last month (but the actual transfer may happen much later).

Note that noun + になる works like this only when the noun is inherently related to some decision/judgement (有罪, 合格, 採用, 離婚, etc.). Otherwise, noun + になる may mean something different. For example, 勉強することになりました means "(It was decided that) I am going to study", whereas 勉強になりました normally means "I learnd a lot / It was a good lesson".

In this case, することになる adds a "ended up/resulted in" to the sentence

It emphasizes on the result of getting a job transfer and makes it a decisive fact

The meaning for 転勤になる and 転勤する is almost the same imo, only difference is that 転勤する is the verb form

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .