I was studying on another website and ran across a blurb that said that a pen is also called mannenhitsu in Japan. Is there a difference between the two? If not, is mannenhitsu said sometimes, just as often, or more often as pen in Japanese?

  • 3
    Do you mean "mannenhitsu" (まんねんひつ,万年筆)?
    – fefe
    Dec 2 '12 at 0:30
  • 2
    Please use a dictionary! Any reasonable Japanese-English dictionary should state that “mannenhitsu” means a fountain pen. Dec 2 '12 at 23:28

万年筆(まんねんひつ) specifically refers to fountain pens, whereas ペン is more generic and can also refer to other types of pens, such as ballpoint pens.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.