Is it imposter “ or something that is fake that is not necessarily human? Can it be both about a person and a thing?

It is not a common word today. Do you have a context where it appeared? Aug 20 at 2:31
  • An episode title
    – Onna
    Aug 20 at 2:36

1 Answer 1

It is not a very common word in today's language. According to the dictionary definition:

うそをつく人。いつわりびと。

「わらはを―にせうと云ふ事か」〈虎明狂・塗師〉

Its meaning is "liar", which is a human. The word seems to be used at several places in the Japanese Bible translations.

偽り者とは、イエスがキリストであることを否定する者でなくて、誰のことでしょうか。御父と御子を否定する者、これこそ反キリストです。
Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. (1 John 2:22, ESV)

• Isn’t “mono” used for non humans too though? I saw in some dictionary that it can be “ counterfeit” too
    – Onna
    Aug 20 at 6:06
  • @Onna Potentially yes but many words are actually fixed on either "human" or "thing". They have kanji difference: 者 for human sense and 物 for thing. Do you mean 偽物【にせもの】 for "counterfeit"? Aug 20 at 6:13
  • no, still itsuwarimono. Apparently it’s how the word was translated in the subbed version too
    – Onna
    Aug 20 at 8:45
  • @Onna I can't find a word "itsuwarimono" that means something like "fake thing" and I don't remember such a word exists. I think it may be either a creative usage or the subber's mistake. Aug 20 at 9:31
  • Maybe counterfeit can be used on a person so they meant someone who is fake
    – Onna
    Aug 20 at 17:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .