I encountered the following multiple-choice question on page 37 (question 3 in section 5) of my JLPT N2 grammar textbook 「新完全マスター文法 日本語能力試験N2」:

歴史的な大記録を作った斎藤選手は、祝福の拍手にこたえて(   )。

a 帽子を取って軽くおじぎをした

b 大きな声で返事をした

c とても満足した様子だった

The answer is 「a 帽子を取って軽くおじぎをした」. I chose the correct option and understand why it is correct, but I am not sure why the option 「b 大きな声で返事をした」 is wrong. My textbook explains ~にこたえて as

~にこたえて

~の期待・要望がかなうように、あることをする。

「期待・要望・希望・アンコール」など限られた言葉につく。後には、動詞の文が来る。

「c とても満足した様子だった」 is not 動詞の文, so I eliminated it. However, options 「a 帽子を取って軽くおじぎをした」 and 「b 大きな声で返事をした」 both seem to make sense to me:

(a) 歴史的な大記録を作った斎藤選手は、祝福の拍手にこたえて帽子を取って軽くおじぎをした。

Saitō, who set a historical great record, took off their hat and bowed gentally in response to congratulatory applause.

(b) (?)歴史的な大記録を作った斎藤選手は、祝福の拍手にこたえて大きな声で返事をした。

Saitō, who set a historical great record, responded loudly to congratulatory applause.

I chose (a) only because the scenario described was more imaginable to me, but I cannot find anything wrong with (b). What am I missing here?

1 Answer 1

祝福の拍手にこたえて大きな声で返事をした is OK except こたえて and 返事をした make it redundant. It’s like saying the player responded with a loud voice in response to the applause of congratulations. It would sound more natural to say 祝福の拍手に大きな声で返事をした.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .