I found this sentence in the song 「光と闇の童話」:

花に水を遣るように 儘 罪には罰が要る

What does 「儘」mean there?

Hi there, thanks for your first question on JLSE! As a new member of the community, please do read our guidelines (see: japanese.stackexchange.com/help) over what constitutes an 'on-topic' question. As for your question, could you provide some research and suggestions over what you think the translation might be in this context, and/or why you are struggling with the meaning? This will help you to get a better answer to your question, while also making it more helpful to others. Otherwise, your question could constitute an 'off-topic' question, which may be deleted. Welcome once again!
    – henreetee
    Jul 31 at 19:18
    @henreetee I think we should add your comment to the template list. Beginner friendly and helpful!
    – Eddie Kal
    Jul 31 at 19:24

1 Answer 1

To be honest, it doesn't make much sense, and I think what it means is just open for (creative) interpretation. Songs and poems can sometimes do that.

It seems like the songwriter uses 儘 (まま) in other songs in a similar way. Maybe that's part of their personal language. From 暁光の唄

暗闇の時代に生まれて 儘 君と出逢い

The most plausible reading is まま, and as I said, it doesn't make sense in any of the two contexts. I might think it as "naturally" or "automatically", associating it with other phrases that include it, such as そのまま. That's kind of a stretch, but it's the best I can do.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .