I'm just curious about honorifics during the Heian period. I know that "daredare no kimi" was used often in court however I am curious about other honorifics extant during the period. Particularly I want to know what the period equivalent of "onushi sama" would be.

  • Can I assume you're only interested in "the respectful version of thy in Japanese"? It requires an entire book chapcter to even explain the basics of "honorifics during the Heian period".
    – naruto
    Commented Jul 27, 2022 at 0:54
  • Specifically, I wish to refer to a person of around the 5th/6th rank in court without referring to them by name from the position of a commoner sort of like "お主様"
    – Jobalisk
    Commented Jul 27, 2022 at 19:52
  • oh, I should mention the person being addressed is male and the first particle in the sentence would be の, if you do have a chapter on honorifics of middle Japanese lying around I'd love to read it.
    – Jobalisk
    Commented Jul 27, 2022 at 20:19
  • So you are looking for 2nd person pronouns in conversation? This may be of interest (p58) thought it is letters. This says mostly it is unknown how people call each other in the era, but high class people were using just full names.
    – sundowner
    Commented Jul 28, 2022 at 22:29
  • Thanks, this looks useful.
    – Jobalisk
    Commented Jul 30, 2022 at 3:10


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .