While looking through some example sentences, I found one where I couldn't completely understand the use of the って particle (Here is the full context if needed):

いいことを教えてあげよう。お前もいつか子供が出来たらこんなのも出来るんだって

And this is the translation that is provided by the source:

Let me (give you favor of) teaching good thing. That when you have kids one day, you can do this kind of thing.

I know that って in this case is a contraction for と言う and that it is generally used to quote someone or to use indirect speech, but I don't see that working here. I also read that you can use って on casual speech to emphasize what you are saying or show your frustration, but I am not sure that this the case for this piece of dialogue.

1 Answer 1

って in this case is an colloquial version of と, not という. 教える takes a と-clause just as 考える and 言う do.

• これは本だ言った。
    これは本だって言った。(colloquial)
    I said this is a book.
  • これは本だ教えた。
    これは本だって教えた。(colloquial)
    I taught [someone] that this is a book.

In your example, the word order is a little unusual (the verb comes first, somewhat like in English), but the basic meaning stays the same. See: Does word order change the meaning of a sentence? and What does と mean in 「ここにおいで」と?

• Oh, so the と in this case makes reference to the "teaching". I thought that was a possibility, but is nice to have some confirmation.
    – Majest
    Jul 26 at 1:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .