When listening to amazarashi's song "つじつま合わせに生まれた僕等" on Youtube, the first "誦読" part has such a sentence "降らば降れと天をにらみつけ."

Intuitively, It sounds like a causative-conditional conjugation to me and means something like "if it befalls on us." But I'm not sure. Can anybody out there shed some light on it?

Many thanks.

enter image description here

Edit:

First of all, thanks @naruto for the reply. And after digging around for a while, I found 2 pieces of information that might also be useful to future readers of this post.

Here are the links for reference: <link1> and <link2>

By the way, I like this tiny part of the info:

enter image description here

1 Answer 1

降らば降れ is the same as 降るなら降れ, but said using the grammar of classical Japanese. A literal translation of this is "(O Rain,) if (you) fall, fall!". A message like "Rain cannot stop me" is implied.

Conditional forms worked a little differently in classical Japanese. The conditional ば attached to the 未然 (aka irrealis or pre-nai) form of the verb. See: using 未然形 and 已然形 with conditional ば and 寄らば from 寄らば大樹の陰

In modern Japanese, this is a pattern that is used in stilted sentences and has an implication of "let it go" or "I don't care". Similar expressions include:

• 死なば死ね: Let them die if necessary; I don't mind if they/you/I die
  • 笑わば笑え: If they laugh at me, let them do so (I don't care)
  • Are those fixed expression, or can the ~あstemば~えstem form be used with any verb?
    – Mauro
    Jul 22, 2022 at 14:47
    @Mauro 死なば死ね and 笑わば笑え may be called fixed expressions, 未然形+ば is not completely dead, so you may occasionally see it used with any godan verb, mainly for the purpose of archaism. It can be used when ~む, せよ and so on can be used naturally (magic spell, dragon's language, Shakespeare, ...).
    – naruto
    Jul 23, 2022 at 0:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .